Adjust For Inflation ~ it’s the JUST thing to do!
Join the campaign to win an automatic adjustment for inflation for Human Services Contracts. We’re asking Seattle City Council to work with us for a lasting solution to this yearly problem.
What it’s all about:
Seattle’s ability to thrive now and in the future depends on our ability to foster economic, emotional, physical, developmental, and social well-being for all members of our community. From youth development to senior centers, community clinics, domestic violence and sexual assault prevention and response, food banks and meal programs, housing, shelters, and prevention of homelessness, human services build well-being. We provide the support for Seattle residents to reach their full potential.
HSD contracts currently DO NOT take into account the annual rising costs of doing this work, including utilities, rent for office space, facilities costs, and employee healthcare, wages, and other benefits. Adjustments for inflation are necessary in order to sustain the services we have invested in as a community, and foster well-being for all Seattle residents.
Take Action Now! Click here for an easy form to email all 9 Seattle City Councilmembers asking them to #AdjustForInflation.
Sign your organization on to this campaign! Click here to email Hillary to officially sign on. Please send your logo so we can include it on this page.
Location for all meetings: Seattle City Hall Council Chambers: 600 4th Ave, Seattle, floor 2
- Thursday, July 11, 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.: Housing, Health, Energy, and Workers’ Rights Committee
- Opportunity to make a brief (~2 minute) public comment about your work/support for inflation adjustment at the beginning of the committee meeting
- Thursday, June 6, 1:30 – 2:30 p.m.: Special Committee Meeting: Stabilizing Human Services Contracts at City Hall in Council Chambers
- This event was held at Seattle City Hall and all councilmembers are invited to participate. A panel of 10 community participants will highlight the importance of adjusting human services contracts to take inflation into account, in order to provide good services and ensure good results. We need YOU to help fill the room with supportive faces and voices.
- Thursday, June 13, 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.: Housing, Health, Energy, and Workers’ Rights Committee **Opportunity to make a brief (~2 minute) public comment about your work/support for inflation adjustment at the beginning of the committee meeting
- Take Action with this easy online form
- CB 119542 Proposed legislation and materials from City Council staff
- Messaging tips
- Signs to print and use for photos (tweet or Facebook to councilmembers, email to Hillary)
- Martin Luther King, Jr. County Labor Council, AFL-CIO resolution in support of Annual Inflation Adjustments
- Video from November 19, 2018 press event with good statements from DESC and YouthCare staff. Click here to watch.
- Video from June 6 Special Committee meeting: View full video of the special meeting.
- Video of June 6 remarks from Councilmember Mosqueda and some panelists: View video of pre-meeting remarks.
Sign up to help win a stronger human services network!
We need YOU: all members of the Coalition on Homelessness and Seattle Human Services Coalition members, and staff, clients, guests, and Board members of any organizations that provide human services to Seattle residents are invited to join us in this campaign. Please plan to attend as many of the key dates (listed above) as possible. Organization leadership should identify at least one senior and one front line staff person to attend each meeting and provide public comment.
Please share this page and have individual staff use the form below to RSVP. If you have questions, please email Hillary directly at hillary[at]homelessinfo[dot]org.
Note: We’re asking for everyone who cares about human services in Seattle to participate. Even if you work at an organization that does not hold HSD contracts, or if you are a community member who doesn’t work as a service provider, we need your voice! RSVP below to sustain our capacity to provide quality services.
IMPORTANT NOTE about filling out the RSVP form: There are three sections. Please answer all of the questions and make sure to hit the “submit” button on the final section (about your council district). Thanks!