Training and Professional Development
The Coalition offers opportunities for training and professional development to our members through our case manager trainings, information sessions and General Membership meetings.
We are currently hosting trainings and meetings via Zoom. Sign up for our Homeless Services and Housing Network email list to learn more about upcoming trainings and workshops.
We strive to offer high quality workshops and training to help case managers and direct service providers do their jobs well and stay informed about key issues affecting their clients. We work with local experts to secure skilled trainers who can speak with authority, focus on practical skills and applied knowledge, and provide accurate and timely information.
Click here for information about Membership, including General Membership Meetings.
Public Benefits are Key! Trainings
In partnership with Solid Ground’s Benefits Legal Assistance and REACH, we are pleased to host the Public Benefits Are Key! training series. This series is geared towards case managers working with people experiencing homelessness – both new case managers as well as experienced providers who have questions and would like additional support in navigating these resources. You will learn what you can do as a case manager to help your client navigate the benefits process, hear key tips for avoiding barriers, and learn when to contact an attorney. This will be a practical, hands-on training.
Check out all trainings on our YouTube page!
2023 training schedule to be released soon!
Past Case Manager Training:
- Public Benefits are Key! Training Series
- Medicare, Medicaid, and Spenddowns– this third training in the series helps case managers learn more about this benefits, the complexities involved and when to contact an attorney for assistance.
- TANF & WorkFirst Training – second session of our partnership with Solid Ground’s Benefits Legal Assistance team covers navigating and eligibility for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and WorkFirst programs.
- ABD & HEN Training – this first session, held in partnership with Solid Ground’s Benefits Legal Assistance team in May 2022, is an in-depth training about the Aged, Blind, and Disabled (ABD) and Housing & Essential Needs (HEN) programs. The training will cover topics such as eligibility, income and resource limits, the disability evaluation process, and best practices for helping clients apply for these benefits.
- Financial Empowerment: Tools for Homeless Service Providers, July 2020 and monthly mini-training series. Presented in partnership with Hopelink, we discussed the Your Money, Your Goals (YMYG) toolkit and took a closer looks at topics such as how to discuss finances, setting financial goals, earning income while maintaining public benefit eligibility, and dynamic budgeting.
- Public Benefits 101, December 2019
- Helping Homeless Students: McKinney-Vento 101, held in September 2019, September 2020, and September 2022
- Naloxone Training for Behavioral Health and Housing Providers
- Working with Immigrants
- What does Health Care Reform mean for people who are homeless?
- Tenant Screening
- Economic Stability & Workforce Training
- Navigating SSI/SSDI applications
- Street Drugs 101
- Harm Reduction in Theory and Practice
- Working with Interpreters
- Domestic Violence & Housing First
- Legal Assistance